Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Marissa Shevins starts her African Journey!

In my country we go to prison first and then become president. -Nelson Mandela

Almost three weeks ago, I traveled to South Africa, to a place called Knysna, or “The Garden Route. Aptly named, it is one of the more beautiful places I have ever seen. I am living in a volunteer house working in the local community in HIV/AID’s education and prevention. I work with ten other girls from all over the world in various places ranging from hospitals to home based care clinics to schools and youth centers.

Initially I came here with the intention to learn about myself, and what I want from life. In high school I had a very strong sense of direction in terms of what I wanted for a career. Yet when I entered college I found that nothing I wanted before seemed right anymore and decided that in order to get back on track I needed to figure out something new. For me, my most important self realizations have always occurred in the magic that for me is Africa. I have heard many say that if you come to Africa and see the way it is in real life, not on TV, then you will never want to leave. I see what they mean. I come to this strange and beautiful place to find myself,

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”

Life here is almost dreamlike. The otherworldly beauty that surrounds me becomes almost commonplace. There are lush forests, deserts, mountains, white sandy beaches and endless ocean. The people are friendly and lovely despite their terrible living conditions.

Being here and working with these people really makes me realize how much I take for granted. These people who have so little have much more than most will ever know. They are the happiest people I have ever seen and that in itself is truly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment