Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My EDGE OF AFRICA Experience

My EDGE OF AFRICA Experience

By Eavanna Maloney


It has taken me at least three months since returning home to be able to write this blog.

It was too difficult for me to put in to words how I felt about my experience of South Africa. Coming home was one of the hardest things I have had to do……….

I joined EDGE of AFRICA in March 2011 expecting to spend five weeks on their HIV/AIDS Awareness project, and left October! I spent five weeks on the most amazing project where I met the most wonderful people, including the inspirational Dr. Laurel Giddy at the HARRT Clinic and Annalene who runs the mobile clinic at That’s it. I met some fabulous people at EDGE of AFRICA…….. Dayne, Roger, Jo, Joash and Kholi. I met inspirational volunteers from all over the world. I was also lucky to be there for the infamous Chester crowd who gave me numerous laughs and giggles. Mel and Sioban I haven’t forgotten you and you know I love you!! It is difficult to describe how an experience like this can make u feel it truly filled me with love and joy. I was as high as a kite on life and love.

I worked as a Medical Volunteer coordinator from April I looked after volunteers from all across the globe and placed them on various medical projects which included HIV and AIDS Awareness, the Medical Community Project and Hospital Based Internships. I had the opportunity to meet fabulous volunteers. I stayed in the volunteer house which was always a hive of activity and laughter.

Through EDGE of AFRICA I had the opportunity to experience the true beauty and spirit of South Africa and indeed its people. I saw how somebody struggling to survive could be filled with such undying love, joy, generosity and positivity, I also had wonderful opportunities to see the beauty of South Africa on the EDGE conservation projects which included the elephant sanctuary, I had the chance to get up close and personal with some very large elephants, thank you Josaphine!! I was also lucky to go to ADDO Elephant Park and the magnificent Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn.

It really was an amazing experience working with EDGE of AFRICA and I would happily recommend them to anybody wishing to open their heart and broaden their mind. Thank you to EDGE of AFRICA for giving me the opportunity to work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment