Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

HIV/AIDS Volunteering in South Africa

Volunteering in Knysna for a very worthwhile cause!

Privileged is how I feel to have experienced a project as eye-opening as TB/HIV Awareness in Knysna, South Africa. I am a qualified Nurse I have been in the health industry for the past five years. I think I learned more in my five weeks with EDGE of AFRICA than I did in the last five years!!

I have met some truly wonderful people from Healthcare workers to patients. I have seen strength in people I didn’t even imagine could be possible. Smiles that would melt your heart and tears that would break it. Although AIDS has a devastating effect on its victims and indeed their families the patients I met just exuded positively, courage and strength. One of the most shocking things about aids in South Africa is that it has no face. It affects people of all ages, from all backgrounds, people from all walks of life. This as a foreigner was shocking for me. All part of my learning process!

I worked in the community Kayalethu and Hornley for the most, which for me was very special, seeing patients in there homes. I was invited with such genuine warmth and kindness that I often had a little tear in my eye. During my time at the clinics and at the hospital I saw such dedication in the staff. They work with an efficiency and kindness that was admirable. I now have many people to aspire to in my future career.

Volunteering experience what can I say about that? Well, I have never in my life laughed as much, talked as much, or had as many special moments as I did with the people I volunteered with! What an amazing group of people! I think the bond you form with people when you are volunteering and doing ‘good’ is very special. Everybody is having new, exciting and emotional experiences. To share these experiences can only strengthen and build lasting friendships.

Knysna is a beautiful place with plenty to do with its vibrant night life and surrounding nature and wildlife parks. There never was a dull moment in my experience! There was always something to do, somewhere to go even on a shoestring budget!

I was really looked after during my stay with EDGE of AFRICA it reminded me of being home, or as we in Ireland would say being “mammied”! Beautiful food, a beautiful house. Everybody was so friendly and helpful!

This truly was a life changing experience I will be returning home a changed person for the better!!

For more details visit www.EDGEofAFRICA.com or follow volunteers on www.facebook.com/EDGEofAFRICA.

By Eavanna Maloney

No comments:

Post a Comment