Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sleepless in Knysna by Eavanna Maloney

04h00 Its pitch black, not a sound to be heard, I see the intermittent passing of the lights ……….Neighbourhood watch. I will myself to sleep.

04h05 I’m tossing

04h06 I’m turning

04h07 I’m Stressing

04h08 IM REALLY PANICKING!!! I start work in 3 hours!!!!

………………………..I have been awake for 16!

04h09 I am resigned.

At exactly 04h10 I am up, awake and wired to the moon, which at this exact moment is yellow, murky and its light is dimming!

I move to my window to inspect the lights of the distance. I am trying to identify the various houses I have visited and I think of the people I have met that live there.

04h13 I think I have spotted Siyafunda! Although I haven’t had coffee yet….

04h13 I am at the kettle………… Coffee

I move slowly and silently (this is very difficult in a wooden house especially carrying coffee and a laptop) I do not want the volunteers I live with to think I am an unwelcome guest!

04h15 I move to the office with torch in hand.

04h53 I am working. I am preparing timetables for the next group of volunteers I am placing these volunteers in various medical projects throughout Knysna here they will meet wonderful people from healthcare workers to patients.

05h00 I don’t know if I am tired or alert? Awake or asleep?

I’m definitely not sure whether my timetables are making sense!!!!

More coffee more typing!!!!

05h30 The sun is rising over white location and the moon is falling into the lagoon.

I can here the Bokmakierie and the turtle doves singing their morning songs.

06h00 I am no longer stressed I am no longer anxious

I am at peace.

06h10 I head to the shower and get ready to start my day.

By Eavanna Maloney – Medical Volunteer from Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment