Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

'Living on the Edge' A journal of the African Big 5 Wildlife & Conservation Project by Terri Dekker

Living on the Edge, Lessons of Life, “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains” Miracles are waiting everywhere…. Don’t Audit life…just show up and make the most of it. Life in Africa, by Terri Dekker


South Africa, 2010 It began as a dream, years beyond my memory. It’s now my reality, a destiny of a life time. It seems so ambitious, somewhat selfish and crazy to some…to leave my family, and those I love, to travel across the world on my own, to a faraway place of risk and uncertainties. It’s temporary, yet so exciting. Go ahead redirect your responsibility, for two weeks, for four weeks, step up allow yourself a once in a life time experience. Humbly give your time and energy to another world, to another life, to make a difference. It may be a small part of an ambitious goal, but it’s yours to give.


Life isn’t Fair, but it is still Good Life isn’t Tied with a Bow, but it is a Gift. To give the Gift of your Life, to Make Good for Another is my depiction of The Circle of Life.


I have never considered myself a scholar or a literary writer in the least. It’s just a temporary passion, a method to find meaning among the reams of notes that I have taken over the days and how they will shape or reflect my life going forward. They are the voice that I cannot speak.


This, my journal is my illustration of my life’s journey to South Africa. I don’t often share the pages of my journal, until now, just this time. I offer my journey to you, All My Friends, My Family, My Children And those considering an incredible journey with Edge of Africa


Every vision I share, be it through the words you read or the photos you see, every word and picture is real.


I arrived in George South Africa on Saturday July 17th, it was 20 degrees C. Yes very cold!!! The security customs at the small airport was so brief, such that I thought I had not passed through them. I was welcomed with a sign displaying my name held by Josh.


I’m safe was my first thought, my next was “now take me to the animals”.


I met the other volunteers, who have traveled from various places around the world to give a piece of them-selves. More about my new friends later, once we master the hurdle of our different languages and accents.


The Volunteer house, much nicer than I expected, of course despite the common perception, there is running water and a toilet, while it was bitter cold (winter in Africa can be) we were welcomed with our own hot water bottle. First I thought it strange, soon to realize how valuable a warm bottle could be. I slept with it between my feet, and plunked it on various spots of my body throughout the first cold night. We all adjusted, quickly and it became no big deal.


We were all hungry, as we chatted and egged one another’s excitement of the days to follow. A hot meal arrived to the house. It was traditional, plentiful, it complimented our new environment.


~ Although not every day’s journal leaf is offered, today’s entry goes…


My Aspiration;

A Safari

Save the children who are lost,

Save the creatures that are living but not human;

My safari or journey this time is different,

It is an excavation of My Spirit, My Soul, My Being.


It is 7am and slowly I make it to the common area of the volunteer house. Soon discover that “initiative” will be the key to survival. The coordinators are wonderfully kind, but emphasize it’s up to you…each of us, what we take out of the project, what we give to the project. “It’s not boot camp, but we will gladly accept your opinions, your energy, your hard work won’t be rejected”


Beyond the description and direction within our elected programs and the concern for our safe well being You must step up to make a difference. Food is provided while basic it will address our needs. We made our way and unconsciously developed as a united group, a team approach to all the tasks at hand. A group of individuals, new to each other, who quickly became united for a cause, we quickly became a family.


Project Two: August 2010 Albertinia, South Africa, The Garden Route Game Lodge

African Big 5 Wildlife& Conservation Project


The first week was off to an exciting start. The Big 5...Incredible, beauty at its best! Sleeping in a tent isn't so bad after all.


Day 1

Off to feed the elephants!! What magnificent creatures, huge would understate their body mass. They are beautiful, simply roaming in search of today’s winnings from the Bakkie (pick up/safari jeep) wagon. Buckets on fresh offerings fruits, oranges, pineapple apples and lettuce leaves left over trimmings from the lodge restaurant. That’s still not enough so in their Bomas, waits whole trees and leafy branches. About the size of four Christmas trees! As we approached, fear set it for some but I could barely wait to touch, to befriend them, to understand them By God they are big brilliant animals. They quickly and independently find their space within their Bomas. They immediately flipped their trucks expecting the droppings of sweet fruit. Impatience set in and they began the dominant tangle. Who would get more and who would get the remaining pieces from the buckets? They used their large weight and trumpeting voices which escalated with demands. It was truly amazing to be a part of their lives for that moment. Expecting free roaming, soon you learn the sadden lives of capture and circus behaviour…it’s what they know. It’s what we are about…putting the wild back into their lives that was taken away by human. Our goal – Rehabilitation to the Wild, Protect and Reproduce

The day was lovely.


Day 2

Mholo, Unjani (hello, how are you) if u could hear as I type u would hear roaring lions. I'm in my tent...they feel just a little close! Today is Bitter - Sweet an e.g. of the “Circle of Life”. I began as routine feed of elephants and clean their bomas – a very physical task but not difficult. Feed the giraffes, a clear site of beauty. A mother and her newborn café, we must stop and observe, photo after photo. They are incredibly elegant and swiftly move to the Aloes that we have topped with flakes of lush green hay. While they roam freely, she needs a supplement and extra nourishment for her off spring. The dominating buffalos also are feed due to the lack of greenery caused by the months of drought. The game count begins, the reserve has recently increased the game, but missing are 4 zebra and 4 Kudu. We found most, but sadly ta baby zebra didn’t make it. We were able to locate her, she was young and beautiful her life cut off short. As devastating as it is, she becomes the saviour to the lion. The lion that due to human intrusion did not learn when they were young to independently hunt and fend to their needs. While they have their natural instinctive behaviours to chase and hunt they quickly give up and sadly are dependent. The young Zebra is its saviour.

The circle of life!


Day 3

Whew…I made it, the day started off great. We began our routine fed Ellies, Giraffe & Buffalo. We were able to track the 3 zebra and drive them to the main zebra herd. The radio blares …Yikes a cheetah roaming freely at the Game Lodge...where guest reside while on their vacations. The day’s routine is quickly ended and our tasks are re-prioritized. This could be dangerous. We located the young cub who clearly was able to manipulate the fence structure. We used chucks of dripping meat to lure him back the breading area. Three rangers and myself who is still very new and green in knowledge, worked together to get him back to the enclosure. The meat worked. I quickly discovered a match to my fear. Time to fix the fences...Umm you want me to what…in the enclosed cheetah domain - tools & 3 hungry cheetahs…8 feet away.

Breathe...


Day 4

Today’s entry goes...Start off on routine…feed the ellies, the radio blares…all else has to wait…again! Another cheetah that is still not ready for the wild is out. And so the search begins...feels a bit like “the hunter becomes the hunted“ you know how the story goes…encourage him to follow with chunks of dripping meat...my heart is beating fast – I realise I have beads of sweat a long my forehead…thank goodness, he’s in , success! Fences need repair again, something a little more meaningful. The guys and I are up for the task. Struggling with wire, cutters and a skill I’ve yet to master, I continue to fumble yet my eyes don’t leave the cheetahs…well for just a second! I drop my .work gloves 5' from me and a cheetah sneaks up and takes one...check out the remains in the photos!


Day 5

So the coolest thing happened tonight...I went to feed the elephants "ellies", and they still have not decided if they trust me or not, so usually every night Kidbone draws in a bunch of dirt and sprays it at me EVERY NIGHT...finally tonight I said NO, it's not nice. She literally laid down, on all fours, turned her trunk so I could hand feed her...OMG- beautiful!!! It's 2:30 am it’s time to get up, an unexpected off-load of 7 wildebeest and 2 kudu, off the Bunkie (truck). It’s pitch dark outside and somewhere in the middle of the reserve we meet the truck and trailer. We manipulate the latches, as our adrenaline runs high. The gates are open, some quickly and boldly unload and hit the ground running, while others drift slowly off the trailer. Sadly one wildebeest gave way to the struggle and stress of the translocation. She didn't make it...circle of life once again.


What a week!


No comments:

Post a Comment