Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Medical & Community Project Knysna, South Africa August 2010

Medical & Community Project Knysna, South Africa August 2010

“I have been doing the Medical and Community project with EDGE of AFRICA & Medforce. My project lasted for four weeks. Before I arrived here I did not know what to expect. I was a bit nervous and a bit excited. However, my time in Knysna has been an amazing experience. Everyone, whether the staff of EDGE of AFRICA, the doctors at the Provincial hospital, or the home based carers, all have been very friendly and welcoming. I volunteered at the Knysna Provincial Hospital, the pre-schools, Sinethemba Youth Centre, hospice and also the THAT’S IT clinic. I have gained both medical experience and have also had the chance to contribute to the community. Through my work at the medical projects I got to examine patients with different illnesses and also learned about how the healthcare service works in South Africa. The highlights have definitely been watching the caesarean section and natural delivery! Working at the community projects gave me an insight into the social, financial and cultural backgrounds of the people living in Knysna. Overall, it has been an interesting experience, one which will definitely help me in my university application as well as my later life!”

Toozy Nanda, UK


"Volunteering with EDGE of AFRICA & Medforce has been the best experience of my life, at times it has been challenging but the challenges have definitely helped me grow as a person. I had never travelled to South Africa before or travelled anywhere by myself, in addition I have never had the opportunity to live in a house with 8 other people that I had never met before. I was encountering new situations that were already widening my life experience before I had even begun the project. I find it quite difficult to summarise everything I have done in Knysna over the past four weeks, however, the most prominent memory I have is from the Knysna Provincial Hospital. I was volunteering on the maternity ward and while in the labour room I met a patient, she was having contractions every few minutes that appeared to be extremely painful, therefore, I decided to talk to her so as to become a distraction.

The fact that I was able to just go up to this patient and start talking is an achievement in itself, this is because I was an extremely shy person before I came to South Africa which limited my experience as a volunteer in England. Since being in South Africa, I had become accustomed to the friendly nature of all the locals and this made me feel so comfortable in this new situation. Moreover, when I started to talk to the patient I only had to ask a few questions and from that she was so open with me that I learned about her whole life up until I had met her. The most inspiring aspect of this patient is that fact that she was a single mother who was also HIV positive. She told me that she had found out her status and that she was pregnant within a week of each other. Knowing all this, I was stunned by her evident mental strength; she did not exude any hostility or negativity towards her situation. In addition, she was very educated about the HIV virus and that was very refreshing and made me optimistic about HIV education for all South Africans. I became quite attached to this patient within a matter of minutes and spent the whole day with her, talking about her life, she was also curious about my life in England which seemed so simple and easy when I was telling her about it.

When I returned to the volunteer house that afternoon, I was in a very pensive mood. I was thinking about my life and any "struggles" I thought I had encountered and it all seemed so trivial. I though about that patient and how she was facing so many challenges in her life all at once, her positively was so inspiring to me. I have definitely matured as a result of volunteering in Knysna, before this experience I feel as though I lived in a bubble and was completely unaware of the struggling some people face in their lives on a daily basis. All the people I met in Knysna have positively altered my perception of life; they have shown me that no matter what adversities one faces, one will always prevail when you remain optimistic. I will never forget the time I spent in Knysna and am forever thankful to all those who made the experience so amazing for me."

Zahrah Dad, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment