Volunteer in Africa

EDGE of AFRICA is committed to ethical volunteering and responsible travelling- providing volunteer and internship placements in South Africa for gap years, career breaks, university internships, school groups and corporate team building projects.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

'Today I Am A New Person' By Ibrahim J.

“ Today I met a man who had not seen his family in 61 Years. Yesterday I couldn’t wait to see my family after 4 weeks.

Today I met a 36 year old man in the hospital; stroke, with no risk factors, the right side of his body fully paralysed, married only two weeks ago. Yesterday I was worried about what to do after college.

Today I met a blind woman with diabetes, breast cancer (one mastectomy later) and hypertension and she greeted me with a smile. Yesterday I had trouble getting out of bed.

Today I met a four year old girl in the hospital, abandoned on the streets and abused with cigarette burns lining her arms and neck; all she asked for was piggy back rides and some music to dance to; her laughter filled the ward like a fireplace warms a room. Yesterday I didn’t want to play with my brother because I was busy.

Today I met a carpenter, six weeks stuck in hospital, metal weights rearranging his hip bones and back, after his boss forced him to attempt to repair a weak roof and he fell through. Yesterday I did not know pain .

Today I met an HIV Positive man who had come to the hospital two days ago with a headache; today I carried his still warm body into the morgue. Yesterday I was afraid to say hello to someone on the street incase they didn’t like me.

Today I met a Zimbabwean man working a full time job during the day and earning a degree at night, sleeping four hours per day; today before he left work he took time to have a chat to me. Yesterday I felt too tired to call my Mom because I stayed late at a friends house. Joash (Project Coordinator EOA).

Today I met a boy about my age who lived in a township; when he went into a bar down town to say goodbye to a close friend, he was asked to leave because his clothes weren’t nice enough, he left without lifting a finger. Yesterday courage was only a word to me.

Today I met three wonderful women who had dedicated their lives towards the betterment of the world they inhabited. Yesterday I had only Known such Kindness in Angels. (Dayne , Jo and Eavanna EOA).

Today I am a new person”. Ibrahim Jadoon (Edge of Africa Volunteer).

No comments:

Post a Comment